Christmas Parade

The 42nd annual Spotsylvania Christmas Parade took place Saturday, December 7 to kick off the Christmas season in Fredericksburg. This year’s theme was “Twas the Night Before Christmas.” Every year, the Christmas Parade held at the Spotsylvania Courthouse Commons brings a variety of fun and engaging things for everyone to see, including Santa, fire trucks, and vendors.
This year, a number of RHS students marched in the parade. Riverbend’s very own Emerald Sound and Guard participated in the parade and worked hard in preparation for their performance. Junior, Jillian Hood, a Color Guard member, stated that, “To prepare for the parade, we had to learn choreography, tumbling tricks, and dance techniques. We also did lots of practice marching outside and worked with the band.” The Color Guard performed twice on Saturday, once in the morning at the Spotsylvania Christmas Parade, and then again in the evening, for the downtown Fredericksburg Christmas Parade.
In addition to the Color Guard, Riverbend’s JROTC students marched in the Spotsylvania Parade that morning as well. Andrew Hunter, a sophomore and one of the JROTC students in the parade said that, “It’s not often we all do performances together, but when we do, it’s a lot of fun for everyone.” The parades provide an opportunity for the community to come together to celebrate the holidays, and for many families has become a tradition. Senior, Tianna Smith, stated, “I love the Christmas parades, so my family and I go every year.”
This year, there were a number of floats, trucks, cars, and even community members who participated in adding to the spreading of holiday cheer just in time for the season.