Gamers Unite

Gamers+Unite

The polls are in and the results are shocking! Earlier this week the RHS Newspaper staff sent out a poll to see what was the most played/favorite video game during quarantine and the students of Riverbend have voted.
Surprisingly out of 180 responses, the game Minecraft came in first place, with 36 votes. “I had my students teach me how to play,” says a RHS teacher. Minecraft is a sandbox video game developed by Mojang Studios where the only limitation is your imagination. Even though the game was released back in 2009, it has always been a fan favorite and has been a top game since it came out. Minecraft sales have officially topped 200 million, with 126 million people playing the game monthly. One student who responded says, “Minecraft’s all about creating your own place. It’s a way to escape reality and it even has a really neat story line.”
Second place goes to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. The game was developed by Infinity Ward and published by Activision. Since the first Call of Duty game came out in 2003 it has been played and loved by video game players all over the world. Since 2003 there have been 16 main video games made and several side games. “The game is fun to play in squads (a group of people) and the graphics are very realistic.” Said another student.
In third place is Animal Crossing New Horizons, the newest craze from the Animal Crossing Series. Released just this march, Animal Crossing New Horizons has already sold more than 10 million units in the quarter, bringing its total sales up to 22.4 million. The game got so popular that it even released an Animal Crossing New Horizons exclusive Nintendo Switch console. Nintendo has now shipped 61.44 million Switch consoles, just 470,000 shy of the original Famicom/Nintendo Entertainment System. Some RHS students said that they liked the game so much because it’s very time consuming, cute, and there have been new updates and changes to the game that keep players on their toes and excited.
Video games have proven over the years to be a good way to unwind and a big stress reliever. It’s not surprising that a lot of society has turned to video games as a way to cope with Quarantine and the other situations that are happening in the world right now. Gaming helps you forget about reality and sometimes that’s just what society needs.