DECA Week

DECA is a marketing club at Riverbend and all throughout the country that hosts annual competitions to help prepare students for potential jobs in business/marketing. As the annual DECA district competition approaches, the club dedicated the week of November 13 to 17 in order to increase club involvement and hopefully ignite interest in the club for non-members.
Officer of the club and Junior Sarah Young said, “DECA week is a great way to encourage students to get involved while still having fun.” On Monday, DECA Doughnut Day was held and various flavors of doughnuts were sold to raise money for charity. On Tuesday, the students brought in food for the teachers at Riverbend in order to gain DECA Diamond points for teacher appreciation day. Each member of DECA needs a certain number of points each nine weeks in order achieve good grades in their marketing class. Offering these points as incentive is a good way to increase club involvement.
On top of this, DECA held a candy counting contest on Wednesday. A jar of Hershey’s Kisses was displayed at lunch and students made guesses as to how many pieces were in it and wrote these numbers on pieces of paper. The student who made the correct guess, Senior, Dean Aylesworth, got to go home with all of the chocolate. Junior, Julia Cason said, “I guessed 97 pieces at lunch just because and was hoping I would win, but it was fun anyway.” Thursday was meant to be Movie Night, but it was moved to Monday November 20th. Students received DECA Diamond points for attending and the movie Spiderman: Homecoming was shown.
Finally, on Friday, members of the club received points if they wore the DECA colors of blue and white to school. Districts is on December 5th and will hopefully lead to numerous Riverbend students continuing on to the state competition.