Pennies for Patients

For the past couple of years, Riverbend High School has been collecting pennies and other coins from students and staff to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
Mrs. Broklawski, a Chemistry teacher, who was diagnosed in 2014 with Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, but now she has been cancer free for 3 years! “These organizations help the patients; but they also help connect patients with resources and other people that have been through the same thing. They also help out those who cannot afford treatments or those who have to travel for treatment.” Offering some of your spare change may not feel like a great deal, but if a large number of students donate a small amount of change, it can add up quickly. Mrs. Broklawski feels that a small amount of change really does benefit the organizations. She encourages her students to donate by telling her story of her experience dealing with cancer. She also made an effort to make the donation box visible to all students, and not just leaving it at the front of the room.
Many students finds that donating does help the organizations fund the treatments, but others think that the organizations are not being as forthcoming as they appear to be. Senior, Aimee Alford stated, “I feel that it does help a little, but not as much as it is leading on.” However, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society has raised millions of dollars from elementary, middle, and high schools. Every year, during a three week period, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society reaches out to schools around the country for donations to help with expensive treatments and funding to help to find a cure of the two diseases.
Donating to Pennies for Patients is encouraged greatly by students and staff to help out. If you have any spare change lying around, please donate to Pennies for Patients. Even a few coins can help to make a huge difference and create a brighter future.