Just When You Thought It Was Over

It is never too early to think about college.  The next four years after high school can be the most important of your life. When you go to college, if you go to college, what you major in, and what career path you plan to take are all things that are decided hopefully before you walk across that stage. There are many options after high school; some better than others depending on your situation.

The first and most common is college. Even if you decide to attend college, there are still many options a student needs to decide on:  Public or private, two year or four year, in state or out of state. College, however, isn’t for everybody. Some will decide to go to trade school to get more specific training. Others will go straight into the workforce or join the military. Even after all these options, there are still more. The possibilities are endless. Whatever the decision is, remember: it is never too early to start thinking about it.

Senior Brittany Bridgeman has already decided on her next four years. Bridgeman said, “I’m planning on attending Germanna for two years, then transferring to [Virginia] Tech and get involved with Greek life. I’m poor, so I figured this was the best way to save money.”  Many seniors follow the path that Bridgman has planned on, but not everyone has the same opinion on what do after high school.

Senior Erich Froese said, “I plan on attending the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA. In addition to having a developed neuroscience program, William and Mary was the first university where I ever felt at home. It has one of the best and most positive atmospheres I have ever been in.” Froese started thinking about college a very long time ago, but he started considering William and Mary halfway through his junior year. In order to achieve these goals, Froese said, “[I’m] working hard to have good grades.  I also try to participate in extracurricular activities and volunteer as much as possible. Go Tribe!”

Deciding what the years after high school will hold can be very stressful. It is not a decision that should be taken lightly. Everyone is different, therefore, everyone’s decisions will different as well. If you are thinking about furthering your education after your years at Riverbend, visit CollegeBoard.org or Riverbend Naviance to explore your options in more depth.